Sunday 9 November 2008

Multiball!

I’ve always been a great fan of pinball and most modern games have a feature called ‘Multiball’. If you hit the right sequence of bumpers, ramps, loops and slots it initiates a period of play where you have 3 or more balls whizzing around in Brownian-motion fashion, requiring a good degree of focus and flipper coordination to keep them in play, while a cacophony of sound and flashing lights tries to distract you. Brilliant.

A few days back I mentioned that a number of balls were about to start rolling…and so they are.

Ball 1: Project Dennis
By the end of today we will have determined which developer we will be contracting to turn an idea into reality, and the project will press ahead in earnest. We hope to have a working Beta-site before the end of the first quarter next year.

Ball 2: MSIB Exit Strategy
Some details to resolve still but terms are agreeable. We are in the final weeks. UDH Boy, Trywalker, TB and the rest will soon be free of my totalitarian tendencies.

Ball 3: Secret Alpine Hideaway
This one is threatening to get stuck in the Swiss Architect-locust feature. Having admitted a couple of days ago that the ATIA mountain retreat will not be ready on schedule, they have exposed themselves to the ‘failure to complete’ clause of the contract. This allows for the buyer to withdraw from the purchase and claim 10% of the property value as a penalty. I would imagine in the current climate, losing a nailed-on buyer and having to shell out a large wad of cash is disconcerting. The SA-Ls have for the very first time in two and a half years started being reasonable and courteous. I think there is some room for negotiation here…

Ball 4: The Greatest Escape
After almost six years sausage-side I can’t deny that I am looking forward to saying auf wiedersehen. Allied POWs captured at the beginning of WWII got out after about six years and I know how they must have felt. However, having spent a long time digging the tunnel towards the Swiss border, it might be time to look in the opposite direction if Ball 3 is lost. Our removal company just thinks we are indecisive.

Ball 5: Winter Holidays
Plans for friends and parts of the Somnambulistic clan to stay over the end of the year holidays, not to mention the prospect of spending a fair chunk of the ski season skiing, have collided head on with Balls 3 & 4. My biggest worry is disappointing the mini-Somnambulists…

When I started this blog it was with the intention of recording my path out of the comfort zone. No sign of the Holy Whale, but I guess this is the sort of fumbling and bumbling I was referring to. It’s a lot of fun!

23 comments:

Lazy said...

Well you could always come over here for christmas. We have skiing, buffalo rides, and you can legally ride a skidoo on the roads. Although it is hunting season so there's a fair chance that Santa's reindeer will be shot and stuffed.


The only good pinball game is The Adams Family.

Anonymous said...

About ball 2. Can I have your Bluetooth Headset I know you've been keeping hidden in the bottom drawer?

Somnambulist said...

@lazy - I think I might skip on the buffalo rides. And the shooting and taxidermy.

The Addams Family is indeed one of the all-time greats. I think there are a few others worth playing too though!

Somnambulist said...

@UDH - You may. On the condition you take ownership of everything else in my bottom drawer as well. Your call...

Anonymous said...

I have no idea what you're talking about. Of course, that could be lack of sleep combined with too much sugar. I think my brain's melting.

Good luck with the Alpine retreat. I can't say that it appeals an awful lot to me, on account of I don't like the cold and have weak ankles, which prevent me from doing anything much in the way of winter sports. The view will be pretty though, when you eventually get there! ;)

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, bottom drawers DO seem to have a terrible habit of concealing some interesting "strategic" trade ideas when people have cleared the rest of their desks out. Sod it, I'll take whatever is in there (TW's desk is right next to mine so a sideways shovel will be easy with the unwanted contents.. especially with how much time he's spending out of the office of late ;))

Somnambulist said...

@Jay - Now come on Jay, surely everyone has played pinball?! ;-) Sorry to hear about the ankles, but the Alpine retreat is not just about cold winter sports. It's gorgeous in the other seasons too. And yes, the scenery is very special!

Somnambulist said...

@UDH Boy - Careful what you wish for. With all the money Trywalker is making this year, he could turn out to have a bottom drawer full of TRY tickets...

Lazy said...

Shot, stuffed then mounted is at least better than the other way around.

The problem with the other pinball games is I don't win at them.

Somnambulist said...

@lazy - you wouldn't win at The Addams Family around here. Consider that a gauntlet thrown firmly to the floor.

Daddy Papersurfer said...

Sounds like a load of balls to me ...... [someone had to say it surely!]

Randompom aka AEIB said...

Nothing worse though than feeling like the ball in a pinball machine ... out of control with someone thinking they are a Pinball Wizard

Somnambulist said...

Thanks for dropping by AEIB! Guess sometimes we are the ball and sometimes the wizard.. I think you'd appreciate the randomness in that ;-) Congrats on the WBC approval!!

Somnambulist said...

@DP - Oh hello. I didn't spot your contribution there... such as it was. Try not to stay up so late, eh?

Lazy said...

You do realise I'm training at altitude for just tis sort of challenge...

Somnambulist said...

@lazy - you can't scare me with that Rocky Balboa stuff... bring it on!

Lazy said...

You know what, it's exactly like Rocky 4 where he's running up the mountains, lifting logs, punching slabs of cow...
just without the running, lifting and cow punching.

Somnambulist said...

Funny.. none of those images had come to mind. Huh.

Lazy said...

Well i'm listening to Pinball Wizard on a loop, making sure the wrists are supple etc... I'm ready to bring the pain!

Somnambulist said...

Hah! I match your pain, and I raise you a sprain!!

(I knew it was a bad idea to watch Blades of Glory...)

Lazy said...

Well I'm not putting on a skin tight outfit. That'll be no fun for anybody.

Somnambulist said...

Was that an earthquake I just felt... or did a heard of Bison just faint?

Lazy said...

They'll be fine, it's just a nervous reflex like those goats on youtube.