Wednesday 26 November 2008

Another Day At A Medium-Sized International Bank V

As the curtain on my banking career looms large I feel a certain drive to record some of the little details that make the financial industry unique. In an earlier post I mentioned that the daily spaghetti of crossed-wires communication had a lot to answer for. Here’s another little nugget….

Dear Mr Tchübacher,

I hope you may be able to assist. One of my team has asked for clarification on personal account trading rules in relation to certain products.

I have scanned the compliance manual and haven't come across any specific guidelines on this subject, so I would like to seek your clarification on what regulations or rules apply for a member of staff to use margin trading accounts?

Many thanks in advance,
UDH Boy

….Two days later…..

Hi Mr Tchübacher,

I have not had a reply to my previous mail. My team member is still asking me about the rules governing this kind of activity. Could you please pass on to whoever can answer so that I can inform my staff accordingly?

Many thanks,
UDH Boy

….One day later….

hey UDH Boy,
i give this to advisory to clear the new structure of our team. For the moment i think that our new structure with the same workaround still have the same rules as before. I escalate it today and hope that it will be clear in the near future. ;-)

Herr E. Tchübacher
Compliance Officer

Hello Herr Tchübacher,

I’m sorry, I didn’t quite follow your mail. Please can you clarify the rules on margin trading accounts or direct me to the appropriate person?

Thanks,
UDH Boy


…..One day later…..

Hey UDH Boy,
sorry for delay but we have still problems. It´s what i say yesterday, before it will be finaly clear the new structure with our Boss and Compliance, the best way is to leave it as before. The appointment will be in the near future (i hope next week). Offiziell rules are not exist of this point. But it´s in inoffiziell rule to say before we know the new rules we must leave the oldest rules. Better is better. I hope it help for the moment.

Herr E. Tchübacher
Compliance Officer

(This issue is unlikely to be resolved in 2008...)

Happy Birthday to Lisnambulist ;-) x

9 comments:

70steen said...

I couln't have typed that better myself .. Offiziell... brilliant & 'better is better ' lol ... you cheered my Wednesday as I head for my barking mad office :-)

Anonymous said...

Perfectly written for laughs it may be 70s but its also how it happened!
I hate to admit it,(considering I don't have any exciting new venture to run off to, meaning I'll be talking to this particularly hare brained hairy mongrel for years to come...) that Somn hasn't embellished the exchange of mails here at all! Only slight change is that I was actually kind / stupid / resigned enough to allow our Compliance Department Helpdesk a whole week before the chase up mail instead of two days. I mean, Rome wasn't built in a day so who expects a simple reply to a simple request within two?!
Pass the magic muffins....

Anonymous said...

hey that sounds even worse than the gimcrack.... my sympathies bro'

Somnambulist said...

@70s - Offiziell. Better is better. Insalum. Remind me, why is it that you want to sell your German hotel again?

@UDH - Just so you know, while you are in London today not seeing the people who didn't reply to your meeting requests (who are you?), we are having muffins for fruhstuck again today...

@Nursey - If you are ever in the Northern hemisphere we should share a bottle of vino and swap loony bin stories :-)

Daddy Papersurfer said...

I would like to take this opportunity to wish Lisnambulist a happy birthday ........ unfortunately due to the current restraints I cannot comply with this, due to H&S Directive 38b concerning the necessity to triplicate all out going emails [with copies sent to the appropriate departments and copies of copies to be verified independently and filed in the central system in an encrypted form] as the independent moderator AND the moderator's independent moderator are both on sick leave due to the current situation vis a vis the sale at M&S.
If you have any questions please contact my out of office email account which can accessed via the usual route ....

Somnambulist said...

@DP - Now THAT is funny. Ever feel like yesterday was just like today, which was just like...?

I'll pass on the good wishes :-D

70steen said...

udh boy ... you could have a lot of sport with this though.... the possibilities are endless (including putting word verfi words in like 'charink you could answer my e mails within the alloted time?') lol those Magic Muffins are good

nil desparandum udh.... :-)

[word verfi .. charink ]

70steen said...

Somn ~ good point ;-)

Somnambulist said...

@70s - charink you fairly muchness.