Monday 1 September 2008

Back The Underdog!

I'm not really into boxing but I do like a good underdog story, and Rocky really was a great movie. The first one, that is, the sequels were totally forgettable. Or so I thought.

One of the later films had Sly up against Dolph Lundgren at his physically gigantic-est. It was a movie, and so, as unrealistic as it seemed, the thespianically-challenged hero won, of course. I guess it helped that he wrote the script too.

Any thoughts of said film had drifted into the long-term memory banks, and were probably headed for the synaptic trashcan until I stumbled upon a photo of the weigh-in for last weekend's fight between Nikolai Valuev and John Ruiz, which is without doubt a theatrical gem...
Competition is heated at auditions for the role of "Genie" in next season's "Aladdin."

Happy Birthday to my bro Samnambulist !! ;-) x

9 comments:

Daddy Papersurfer said...

I'm beginning to worry about hair migration as well ......

Somnambulist said...

I'm told it happens to everyone. Mine just seems to be going a different colour...

orangepeel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
orangepeel said...

Has anyone noticed the startling resemblance between Don "Crazy Old One-Eye" King and the late great Ronnie Barker?

Somnambulist said...

Wow, yeh! (I hadn't spotted him there, I thought it was just a weird growth on the little guy's neck)

Anonymous said...

That little fella is surely a mascot for someone that didn't show up?

(Says Mr Tall. I don't care,I am far enough away to consider namecalling that heavyweight quite safe ;))

Somnambulist said...

It does have that kind of "my big mate will be along in a minute, so what are you looking at.." pantomime feel.

Behiiind youu !

Anonymous said...

Let's face it, if Nikolai Valuev was behiiind you, well, you'd be veeeeeery worried. Especially if he had some Euro/Dollar business in his immense fist. He doesn't work in our Moscow office does he? ;)

P.s. Trading via blackberry at this hour. Does that permit me to take 45 weeks holiday between now and October?

Somnambulist said...

UDH - I don't think you are showing enough commitment to the cause. Please come to work for the next three weekends. Oh, and you're being transferred to Moscow.