Tuesday 2 September 2008

More French Enlightenment...

I seemed to divide opinion a bit last week with regard to my panegyrical praise of our froggy friends. I managed to find someone who disagreed with basically everything I gave them credit for.

No matter, like John Cleese in a cheese shop, I am back for more, because I forgot one important thing that the French do better than the rest of us Europeans, and that is place names.

Forget your Stockports, your Birminghams, your Glasgows, your Malagas, your Maastrichts, your Frankfurt-am-Rheins and your Zurichs. You only have to look at a map of la belle France and luxuriate in the language of their names. Cote d'Azure.. Montpeilier.. St. Tropez.. Orleans.. Gevrey-Chambertin (ok, that one was just a birthday hint in case anyone needed an idea). It's all so evocative, I think I might have to go and book a last minute weekend away...
I wonder where the residents of Chevannes go on a Saturday night out


(sorry about the poor photography. I have vague recollections of being driven round a roundabout 4 or 5 times just so I could snap this!)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just got four requests for transfers to our Chevannes office. Your cunning plan to assist in the headcount reduction drive is working...

Somnambulist said...

@UDH - I've changed my mind. You're being transferred in 47 hours to Marseille to work with Clouseau.

Anonymous said...

Would be worth it just to live more Peter Sellers moments.

Eet ees okay udh. I 'ave eet,eet ees fine, pas de probleme...
Taptaptaptaptippetytaptap...
Oh non non non, Merde!!! 'Elp meeeeee udh 'elp meeee...

Somnambulist said...

A gilt-edged memory, never to be forgotten. Flapping like a French albatross landing on ice...

Daddy Papersurfer said...

You drove round a roundabout about 4 or 5 times! ..... no wonder there's an energy crisis - mind you I find that a nice comfy sofa soon sorts that out......

Somnambulist said...

Hahaha I love it - best answer to the energy crisis I have heard yet :-)))

sylvie d said...

these roast-beefs driving round French round about are fatal aren't they?...Orgy is very nice, did you take time to visit?

Somnambulist said...

Ahh Sylvie, what makes you think I am Un Rosbif?! ;-)

Unfortunately we didn#t get a chance to stop and look around. However, I have added "Orgy" to the list of my things to do before I die. I should probably keep that to myself...