Thursday 4 December 2008

Dennissimo!

After our first workshop on Monday I was asked a question: "Is it ready yet?"

Now to be fair, the person asking the question has very little idea about Dennis, or systems analysis, or web development. Or the Internet. Or, in fact, the 21st Century. But the interest was genuine and the sentiment wholly benign, so I tried to explain with an analogy:

It's a bit like writing a book, I said. For the last nine and a bit years we have had an idea for a book and have spent a lot of time thinking about it. In the last nine months we have spent a lot of time planning the book, and today we eventually started writing. It'll take a few months to finish it and get it published.

The analogy proved effective for the circumstances, but later I thought about it and while it might illustrate the process, it really doesn't encapsulate the moment. It's much more like having stood in the queue of the biggest ever rollercoaster for nine-odd years. On Monday, with some trepidation, nerves tingling, senses buzzing, we finally, at last, took our places in the front car, lowered the safety bar and edged forward onto the first ratchet of the long climb up the steep, opening gradient....

(updates may be a little sporadic in the next few weeks as I am goin for my record score on multiball)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ya bloody great wusses! Front car? Who sits in the front car? All coaster buffs know that the back row is where it's at for a proper experience! (In some ways like school buses or cinemas, but that's another thread entirely).

In all honestly I'm bloody excited about it too... When can I test it?! Will it make it past our firewall I wonder? Where eBay once trod... I'll get it permissioned via Bloomberg!

Anonymous said...

Not meaning to SPAM you but you must see:

http://andrewgouldingyoutube.blogspot.com/2008/09/girl-freaks-out-on-carnival-ride.html

ADG

Lazy said...

Hit Cousin It!

70steen said...

as Rohnan said 'live is a roolercoaster' .... can't wait to se what it is as I have no idea what you are doing ....... yes I am really that clueless lol :-)

Somnambulist said...

@UDH - Thanks for not expanding too much on your adolescent adventures... If I manage to get project dennis to a traffic level that it gets blocked by the firewall I think we will be halfway there. I suppose I could just pay Schadenfreude Boy to use it instead of eBay....that must be worth a million clicks a month.

@laog - had a brief look and will save that little gem for later :-)

@lazy - hehehe that made me laugh out loud. I'm on the wavelength!

@70s - I'll ignore the reference to Ronan o'Gara... don't worry, nobody knows what we are doing. Including us.

Daddy Papersurfer said...

He's writing a book apparently young 70's - he's just trying to think of the title first ...... then it'll all fall into place - easy peasy.