Sunday 3 August 2008

New Book

I love Amazon. Choose your book, order it, it arrives at home. Brilliant.

The latest addition to the bookshelf was waiting for me (along with SA and the mini-Somnambulists who arrived back from Ireland) at the end of another week in the day job.

I came across a recommendation for "The Art of the Start" by Guy Kawasaki on Y Combinator's startup-wiki-archive-site thingy during the week and promptly popped it into my virtual shopping basket.

The strapline says "The time-tested, battle-hardened guide to anyone starting anything", and on the inside cover it goes on to say "It begins with a dream that just won't quit, the once-in-a-lifetime thunderbolt of pure inspiration, the obsession, the world-beater, the killer app, the next big thing", which is clearly referring to Project Dennis in everything but name. Only a complete idiot would be taken in by such shameless marketing blurb deliberately designed to draw me in and excite me not just about the book, but about the possibilities that will open up to me if only I am equipped with the indispensible knowledge and wisdom that it contains. I can hardly wait for bedtime...

8 comments:

Daddy Papersurfer said...

I love Amazons as well - single breasted women have always ...... hang on .... I better read that again ................... oh ........ OK ..... read it properly now ... books are great too but in a different way.

Somnambulist said...

Amazons only have one breast? :-O You learn something new every day (as I keep telling young Trywalker)

As good as Amazon.COM is, I reckon that Jeff Bezos' greatest achievement was overcoming his own name...

Anonymous said...

I used to love Amazon, but now each time we order anything we check to see if it's in stock and only order if it says it is. Usually what happens is that we then get an email to say 'sorry, out of stock, will send when it comes in' and we wait and wait. And they have made it so hard to get everything organised so that you qualify for free P&P.

I prefer Play.com these days, though they have a smaller range.

The book sounds interesting. Who doesn't want to know how to translate an idea into get up and go? Let us know if it's any good!

Somnambulist said...

Thanks, Jay, I will check out play.com... and now, come to think of it, I have had some problems with Amazon in the past (not delivering presents in time being one example).

I've already read a few pages and it seems pretty good, and so far it hasn't mentioned anything about not wasting your time writing a blog when you could be putting your plans into action. If we do get "the next big thing" (project Dennis) off the ground, it'll all be recorded here on these pages... I'll let you know if the book has any bearing on success or failure :-)

tNb said...

I'm curious about what you'll think of 'The Art of Start' - it's been on my list of books to start for ages ...

(I also had issues with Amazon informing me 4 days before Xmas that my order was out of stock ... but I do still love the convenience of ordering for gifts for friends around the world!)

Somnambulist said...

Hi tnb, thanks for dropping by! That's two requests for feedback on the book, which in my world is a veritable deluge of interest... review on its way - assuming I get through it ;-)

Lynne Rees said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lynne Rees said...

Hi there - why don't you check out The Book Depository (www.bookdepository.co.uk) as they are brilliant at delivering books, are cheaper than Amazon, usually, and their prices include postage to anywhere in the world. They're my favourite online book supplier these days.