Friday 24 October 2008

Phriday Photo XIII

As financial markets freeze up and asset prices collapse around the world, many participants are feeling more than a little foolish for buying things they didn't really understand. As exciting as complex, structured derivatives sounded, what a lot of people are noticing is that they were a lot easier to get into than they are to get out of.

An equine tree-hugger learns first hand the value of a clearly defined exit-strategy when committing oneself in unfamiliar territory


p.s. in case your were worried, the gee-gee was set free with the aid of a chainsaw, physically unharmed. Doubts remain over his mental state, however. When the farmer was asked what he was doing in the tree in the first place, he replied simply "barking."

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should start a "guess what the horse was really thinking" competition?

I'd offer an answer, but I'm stumped.

Somnambulist said...

@UDH - I don't know what he was thinking beforehand, but since he probably had plenty of time to reflect on where he went wrong, I'd guess it was probably something along the lines of

"I couldn't see the wood for the trees."

70steen said...

'participants are feeling more than a little foolish for buying things they didn't really understand.' sounds like when you go shopping with your teenager ...
[wanted to include something about 'fodder' but I have only just woken up] :-)

tNb said...

My life philosophy since I was 5: always have a good exit strategy!

Horses can bark ... ?

Somnambulist said...

@70s - I think "cannon-fodder" might be the phrase you were looking for!

@tnb - I can tell you are smart!

Of course horses can bark. Although often up the wrong tree.

Lazy said...

Something about sitting there with my head in a tree and barking seems quite nice.

Somnambulist said...

@lazy horse - I thought of you when I first found that photo / story... isn't that weird?!

Lazy said...

hehehe perhaps a little weird.
Though Mrs Lazy says she totally understands...

Somnambulist said...

@lazy - Mrs Lazy is nobody's fool...