Thursday 23 October 2008

Feeling Hungary?

Hungary is in trouble. Or should I say its markets are in trouble. Money is flooding out of Hungary in a way that it simply couldn't out of Iceland. This is not really a big deal since the Hungarians have been there, and done that, in pretty much every respect, and will take such things fully in their stride. While the rest of the world shudders in the face of financial crises, Hungarians will tweak its nose and dare it to chase them into Transylvania.

However, it did get me thinking about things, other than money, that come out of Hungary. Apart from goulash and a repuation for fearsome freedom fighters, there are only two things I know that come from this fine central European state. One I can recommend heartily, and the other I warn you never to approach.


Dogs are man's best friend and the best dog of them all is a Hungarian Vizsla. These gorgeous, ancient and noble beasts are both highly intelligent, and the most loyal and affectionate of all canines. They are called 'velcro' dogs, because they become so attached to their humans, they will follow them lovingly and longingly from room to room, just to be close...


Hungary's other contribution to the world as I know it is Unicum. This is indisputably the most revolting drink known to mankind. How it came to be a marketable product is a story that is most likely lost in a Communist haze, although I have my suspicions that it was very likely a serious nationwide attempt at mass suicide following the Soviets' crushing of the 1956 revolution. It is a liquid ambush. When it touches your lips there is a very fleeting instant when you are tricked into believing it is imbued with some semblance of palatability. This is a ruse that is swept aside faster than a cold war student protest, and the rest of the experience is rather like one of those horrible vomit-in-the-mouth moments...yet in reverse. The net result is a great deal of retching, interspersed with debilitating stomach convulsions. I'd rather down a shot of mercury.

Somnambulist's advice is this: If someone offers you a Hungarian vizsla puppy, do everything within your mortal power to accept and accomodate this gift, to change your life and enjoy it to the very unexpected full.

If someone offers you Unicum, resist all adventurous impulses and do everything within your mortal power to put hundreds of kilometres between this vile substance and your sensitive internal organs. You have been notified...

18 comments:

70steen said...

You could change Vizsla with King Charles Spaniel ... mine is like my daemon (see Philip Pullman)

That drink... the name is a clue ...isn't it??? Nurse Myra could tell us.....

Somnambulist said...

@70s - I had no idea King Charles Spaniels came from Hungary as well. Whaddya know...

I assume when you say 'daemon' it's of the 'attendant spirit' type. Mine dogs me too.

Speaking of attendant spirits, you could have something on the Unicum name there. Shall we commission Nurse Myra to perform some kind of experimental survey?

70steen said...

I meant more the 'velcro reference' than origin.. lol

yes an 'attendant spirit' is a goo way of describing Layla.. she is lying at my feet now (only cos she can't get on my knee)...

I am sure the wise Nurse would help, all in the name of science, you understand ;-)

Daddy Papersurfer said...

I wonder what they were called before Velcro was invented - 's**t to a blanket' comes to mind .......

Somnambulist said...

@70s - :-))

I'm sure Layla and the under-exercised-hairy-one would get along together very well. He's nearly 3, weighs 28 kilos but thinks he is a lap dog. Even with my accomodating lap he cannot get all his legs on, but it never stops him trying... {:0p

Somnambulist said...

@DP - Closet dogs, I imagine. They really do follow you everywhere. I have no clue what they might have been called before the invention of the WC, your guess is probably as good as any...unless someone knows something sticky and abundant in medieval times.

tNb said...

Over 40 herbs, das ist ein Unikum!

Somnambulist said...

@tnb - quantity is rarely an indication of quality. Maybe if they concentrated on just the herbs that taste nice, they might have something...

I'm told it's an acquired taste, although I've yet to meet someone with the requisite stamina, constitution or inclination to achieve it.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an ideal tipple for a game of Par 100 to me.

Somnambulist said...

qUDH Nutter - Now there's an idea (if slightly sadomasochistic). I've seen some pretty messy games of Par-100 in my time, but I'd imagine that idea would be closer to Russian Roulette, Hungarian style.

Sally Boy the Sicilian said...

Having a Vizsla in one's life is indeed richly rewarding. They are as loyal and human centric as what has been published...awesome hunters yet sweet and loving like no other breed I've been exposed to in almost 50 years.

Somnambulist said...

@Sally boy - Hi there, thanks for dropping by. All Vizsla lovers are very welcome indeed!!

I have only been owned by a Vizsla for 2 and a half years but another 50 would be fine by me :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, but I'd refuse the Vizsla puppy. They're just not the dog for me. And I don't drink so the Unicum gets the thumbs-down too.

So of the things I know that come out of Hungary, I'll take the goulash ... oh, yeah. And the money!

Tee hee.

Somnambulist said...

@Jay - I know you have your favourites ;-)

...but have you ever seeeen a Vizsla puppy?!

Anonymous said...

I don't know if I've ever seen a Vizla, if so I may have mistaken it for a weimaraner.

Unicum? eww....

Somnambulist said...

@nursemyra - Pop by occasionally and you might catch a glimpse of the "under-exercised-hairy-one" :-)

They are very similar to Weimeraners, just a different colour and a touch smaller. Oh, and much more playful and affectionate!

Unicum.. brrrrrrr makes me shudder just thinking about it!

Anonymous said...

"...but have you ever seeeen a Vizsla puppy?!"

No, I must admit I haven't. But have you ever seen a greyhound puppy? We're talking terminally cute!

Somnambulist said...

@Jay - I know your predispensation to the bunny-chasers... horses for courses :-)) They're all just funny shaped wolves and we love 'em!