Wednesday 1 October 2008

Packages

There's a special feeling you get when waiting for a package. Whether it's a new book from Amazon, the plastic cutlery you bought on Ebay after returning from the pub a bit worse for wear, or, in my case an 8-foot golf swing trainer that I treated myself to last birthday and which now occupies the majority of the study. You get a little excited, a little nervous - the anticipation is palpable.

The financial world is waiting for its own kind of special package, of the rescue variety, from the US government. And boy are the markets all a-jitter. The sums involved are so vast they are basically beyond comprehension, although the general consensus seems to be that it will probably not be enough. More than a few people are unconvinced that the package is actually a good thing, and the US congress has decided it needs repackaging before it gets delivered to all the fidgety bankers. In the meantime, we wait...

While you're waiting for the numbers, here's a little puzzle to keep you thinking (courtesy TC):


What's the next number in this series? 1, 2, 6, 42, 1806, ...

I know Trywalker will probably get this in 3 nanoseconds, so rather than spoiling the game and posting the answer in a comment here, please email the next number to dan (at) atigerinafrica (dot) com, and I'll add the names of any brainboxes to this post. Then I'll pick a winner at random and mail them a $700 billion package (if I can get it through congress).

List of Brainboxes:-
Trywalker - (shock) please read all instructions before solving next time...
Daddy Papersurfer - eats equations for breakfast
UDH Boy - worked it out through the arb
lazy - isn't it past your bedtime?!
tNb - Before coffee no less! Respect...
HeadTeach - No trouble for a brain the size of Richmond. Please explain to orangepeel :-p
Jay - Using the "Depp Effect" ;-)
SparklyAph - With help from the underexercised hairy one {:op );
Bambambam - I'll try to find a harder one next time and you and Trywalker can go head-to-head

19 comments:

Onur Sert said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Daddy Papersurfer said...

I have done your puzzle - in less than a nanosecond but I can't remember how to send emails - tee hee.

There seems to be a 'waiting' theme today ......... oh well

Somnambulist said...

@trywalker - you pillock.

@papa papiersurfeur - I have no doubt that not even do you know the answer without having to work it out, it's probably the code to the combination lock on your garden shed.

70steen said...

a very big number... blonde and dumb I have no chance :-)

Somnambulist said...

@70s - you get half a point for being blonde :-)

Lazy said...

past my bedtime? I've just got up for work.. and yes it is.

Somnambulist said...

@lazy - ok. I always suspected that Wyoming was in it's own special timezone...

tNb said...

Just fueled my answer ... from the only accountant who doesn't do math (or maths even) and I haven't even had a full cup of coffee! :-)

Somnambulist said...

@tNb - Ooh I get a fuel too :-D Enjoy the cappo...

Lazy said...

It is, the timezone seems to be a wet Sunday afternoon in the 50s.

Anonymous said...

Okay, this complete maths failure has done your little puzzle.

I just hope I'm right. LOL!

Regarding the prize money - doesn't the public have any comprehension of how the money markets work? I'm a bit of a dunce in that department myself, but even I can see that refusing this package doesn't so much reward the idiots who got us into this mess, as help us climb out!

They say 'I worked hard to save my money' but they're gonna lose it all anyway unless a deal is done ...

Fingers crossed here.

Somnambulist said...

@lazy - Huh. I thought it would be warmer than that at this time of year.

@Jay - it's really impossible to predict what will happen without some kind of rescue package, although would suggest that we are all in for a rocky ride either way. If you have any gold, keep it safe! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Damn! I don't have any gold, other than a wedding ring etc. I was foolish enough to put my trust in banks!

ROFL!

Hey - look! I got it right! Woo hoo!

Anonymous said...

I don't know what all the fuss is about... this package. My package gets rejected at least 3 times a week!

P.S. Emailed you the puzzle answer.

Somnambulist said...

@70s - Some of the banks will survive, so you have a chance of not losing everything (probably).

If all else fails, you could try being a hostess on Countdown perhaps?

@Bambambam - great things come in small packages, apparently. If you get rejected three times a week does that mean that the other 4 times you're hitting a home run?!

Daddy Papersurfer said...

70's on Countdown!!!!! - no no! NO!!!!

Somnambulist said...

GAH! My mistake, sorry, that comment was of course directed to Jay, not 70s...

I don't know how to do a blushing icon :-.

70steen said...

I could do countdown ... with a calcluator and when they draw the letters out at random they make complete sense to me ;-)

Somnambulist said...

@70s - hahaha that made me laugh out loud. I sometimes feel I am living in an anamarg too :-))