Monday 2 March 2009

Loving The Elbow Grease

In the last week of furious activity I have been reminded of a few things.

The first is how much I actually enjoy physically demanding work. After twenty years of sitting on an increasingly accomodating @rse, spending a week shifting heavy objects from one place to another (not-necessarily-more-appropriate) place has been thoroughly agreeable. Although not as agreeable as that most English of pastimes, building bonfires. It's quite extraordinary how quickly and furiously 1970s furniture and bric-a-brac combusts with only the slightest of encouragement.

I've remembered that wheelbarrows are a quite astonishingly good invention and pondered who came up with the idea and when.

After relocating the equivalent contents of a medium-sized bookshop across the farmyard and down the stairs to the cellar, my aching back and limbs have reminded me that books are heavy and generally designed to be handled one at a time.

Most of all, I've remembered the meaning of the word ambrosial, because after a long day up to my arms in elbow grease, that is how a gratifyingly cold beer tastes...

12 comments:

70steen said...

lol the last time I used a wheelbarrow I had that exact thought....

however, young Somn ... tut tut burning 1970s furniture what happened to 'vintage' ????

Somnambulist said...

@70s - trust me nobody would want it, not even you ;-)

Anonymous said...

daddyp might want it :-)

Somnambulist said...

@nursey - I suspect DP would be more interested in the wheelbarrow :-)

tNb said...

I couldn't agree more! Spent some time on the weekend varnishing wood and it felt better than any desk-related work I've done in years! x

Daddy Papersurfer said...

Definitely don't want the furniture - I'm terribly post-modern and on the cutting edge of design.

Actually, so long as I've got a comfortable sofa I don't care about much else ...... I remember the time when ........ where's everyone gone? ...... hello? ........... hello?

Anonymous said...

I tried to read this post on the crackberry on the way to work today, and got this message pop up :

"Blackberry.compliancecheck.formerinvestmentbank.de" has rejected this post.

You are reminded that Bank communication devices are verboten from accessing any website or material that includes profanities or offensive expressions or material such as :

Furious activity
Demanding work
Elbow Grease
Encouragment
English
Somnambulist

Your compliance officer has been notified and as soon as he's not at lunch or urlaub he will come and tell you off. Very loudly from 50cm away.
(Although he still has to answer your question about Trywalker's margin trading before then, so you should be safe until the hydrophosphate age)

(that's what comes next apparently. I dreamt it).

See the trouble you get me into....

Somnambulist said...

@tango - feels good doesn't it? Varnishing, eh? Must be getting close to completion :-)

@DP - Don't get too close to the edge. Someone my be tempted to give you a little push.

@UDH - I've been blocked by compliance?! Hurrah!! Mission accomplished. Maybe they can get on with Youtube and eBay next and then some of your colleagues may be tempted into actually doing some work :-)

Anonymous said...

There's something very therapeutic about physical work, isn't there? Shame I'm not up to doing any at the moment because the garden is crying out for it.

Hey, we have a wheelbarrow .. .wanna come and play? I have cold beer! ;)

Somnambulist said...

@Jay - Cold beer and wheelbarrows.. do you think we could start a new fad?!

Anonymous said...

As a spokesman for global lechery, may I sniggeringly infer that there are other physical activities equally, perhaps even more, fulfilling?

Somnambulist said...

@laog - yes, good point your spokemanness. However, the post was about things long forgotten and remembered, not about daily gratification...