Saturday 31 January 2009

Sometimes, The Black Hole's Inside Ya

Someone who I am proud to call a friend called me for some moral support. At work he feels the weight of the world on his shoulders, unappreciated and unrewarded, with little chance of things improving in the near future. He's a long way fom home and absorbs great pressure and responsibility for the welfare of his loved ones, while feeling remote from their day-to-day support. The harder he tries, the more he feels he is going nowhere.

Yet he is made of strong stuff, and he will persevere and continue on to great things in all aspects of his life, I have no doubt about that.

We all feel that oppressive doom and gloom now and again, when help from around you seems unavailing at best and the inner light is flickering and fading.

My personal antidote to this is a song called "Come Back Brighter" by Reef. I find a secluded spot, make sure that no-one is around (for their own benefit and safety), put the headphones on and then massacre the lyrics at the top of my voice...

Happy Birthday to Annambulist!!

10 comments:

Daddy Papersurfer said...

It's very useful to recognise these moods and have a strategy to move on. I'm very lucky and hardly suffer them at all. If one should descend, beating up Grumpy Ted always helps ....

70steen said...

my release is to create something that switches the brain away from the problem oh and standing on the shore letting the sea breeze blow it away .... I have also got to the age and experience where in work I simply say 'no...' when I am feeling the pressure is too much I think my self fortunate for that.. this was not the case previously...

When will employers learn to see the signs? It takes very little to show people you are appreciated and valued in what you do

70s Hug to your mate :-)

Anonymous said...

I know the feeling of carrying around your own personal black cloud. Having something practical to do to disperse it is a great idea! It used to be taking the dog out for a long walk for me, but now only having an oldie on restricted exercise, that doesn't work so well.

Must go find that Reef song and see if it will work for me. I haven't heard much of theirs, but there was one I loved.

Somnambulist said...

@DP - That's outrageous! I shall be contacting the RSPCT!!

@70s - Thank you, I'll pass on the comments and the hug ;-)

@Jay - Not everybody's cup of tea, Reef, although they had one very popular hit "Place Yout Hands", which is always worth sticking on your ipod :-)

Anonymous said...

That's a great piece of writng, Mr. Som!

I caught an abbreviated "Place Your Hands" on Youtube, which cut out just as it was building up.

My special track is King Crimson's Elephant Talk:
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=4lCYdMXVre0
nerd rock at its best.

Somnambulist said...

@laog - praise indeed, thank you, your Lordship! I look forward to giving Elephant Talk a listen when I get back down to sea level...

Anonymous said...

I don't remember calling... must have been pissed!

Somnambulist said...

@bambam - wouldn't have been the first time ;-))

Onur Sert said...

nice song, mate. I still prefer Black Magic Woman by Santana..I used to listen that one every morning with my former-boss when we were fighting aganist the wind-mills in Emerging markets while We were acting as Don Quixote and Sancho Panza( despite being called trywalker, I am still called Pancho by my Turkish friends in trading floors)...

Overall, feeling shite at the office while working harder and getting nothing in return.. hmm.. let me think.. 26 years old. away from the family for the last 2 years.. not much going on in terms of p&l of personal wealth.. I would be in the same situation as well ! well said, Bam Bam...

Somnambulist said...

@trywalker - nice song as well, didn't have it on the ipod before...do now. Sancho Panza, eh? Well I suppose it's better than Dirty Sanchez - we'll keep that one for FVJ ;-)